[rancid] no CVS directory created for new groups

Charles T. Brooks Charles.Brooks at hbcs.org
Tue Apr 28 14:05:00 UTC 2020

If you haven't defined CVSROOT then CVS won't know where to create CVS objects, n'est-ce pas?

Until you define it, CVS can't work.  Google your error message.

CVSROOT is usually set in a bash profile (or whatever login initialization script is used by your chosen OS.)

Remember, the environment variable has to be set for the process actually running CVS.  If you are running CVS from a user login, that's quite likely got different environment configuration than when you're running it out of cron or some other job scheduler.

 --Charlie